In the top cage, snuggling together, were the cutest, smallest kittens I have ever seen. There was a grey kitten, who was sleeping, and a black one, staring at me with huge blue eyes. Apparently they were picked up that morning, no mother to be found. They were estimated to be two weeks old. I asked if they were available and the worker said they have to stay in the shelter for five days before they can be adopted. It gives the real owners a chance to come get them if they got lost. But then the worker told us that they will have to be put to sleep this afternoon because they can't eat dry food from a dish. These kittens are not weaned and can't survive without their mother. The shelter only provides water and dry food, and doesn't have time to nurse orphan kittens. I asked if we could please take them home but the worker said he would lose his job. He couldn't legally let us adopt them before the five days. I asked if I could steal them while he was not looking. (My kids couldn't believe I even asked that). He said I would get stopped by the workers up front. I was at a loss for ideas and realized I had to accept their fate because of the rules they had at the shelter. There was no budging. I loaded up the kids in the car and was about to drive away when a burst of inspiration came over me. I rolled down the window and said to the worker, who was still outside, "What if these are MY kittens and I came here to take them back home?" The worker consulted with another worker standing next to him and said, "Where do you live?" I told him, "What street do you live on?" I told him. He said to me... "Then these must be your kittens." Next thing I knew, he was handing me two tiny kittens. The worker gave me instructions on how to feed these little critters and wished us luck. I gave them to my daughters to hold in the car and we were on our way.
I was a little shocked that suddenly we were in charge of keeping these little sweeties alive. We have never owned pets before and I knew nothing about caring for cats, let alone helpless kittens. The reality of what was ahead of us set in. We stopped at Walmart for kitten formula and itty-bitty bottles and the fun began. The children were so happy to have their own kittens. Ben was quite surprised when he came home from work that night, but quickly fell in love with them. I couldn't sleep for a couple days, wondering if I did the right thing in rescuing them. I think that's the closest I've ever been to post-partum depression. Ben reassured me that we are keeping the kittens and it will be good for our family. He was right. The kids felt like heroes for saving these kittens an hour before death. We thought it fitting to name them Justice and Mercy. Justice is the grey one, the demanding one, and Mercy is the black one, so gentle and sweet.

6 comments:
I was reading the story of the animal shelter to Dave, paused in the middle of it, and asked him, "Did you care about hearing the rest?" He said, "Keep reading!"
Now we both want a kitty.
What a wonderful story, and what perfect names for the kittens!!! By the way, Happy Birthdays to you and Ben, Happy Anniversary, and Happy Mother's Day to you...now the Momma of 4 kids and 2 kitty's!!
Your kids will always remember how they got their special pets. Great job saving them!
You are awesome!! Congrats on the new additions to the family.
What a great story, Steph! I wanted to cheer aloud for your inventiveness & determination to save those kittens! What sweet pets. Our pediatrician recently asked Sophia what is her greatest wish, and she said to own a cat. Luckily we have a lot of friendly neighborhood pets, but right now our fish (Arista) is about all I can handle!
Wow! Sounds like the amazing adventures you always seem to have. I have no intention of owning pets, but I have to say I'm sure I would have done the same thing - especially because I LOVE baby kittens. I'm anxious to hear your updates on how the kittens are doing - good luck!
Post a Comment