I don't mean to torture you, but I have to show off the most amazing tasting pie I've ever had. (I'm in agony now, even as I post, remembering it, knowing that huckleberry season is gone until next year). I looked up a recipe online and found a winner. I love this recipe because it is made mostly of fresh huckleberries with just enough cream cheese and cooked berries to hold it together.
Here's the recipe in case you ever happen upon these little woodland treasures. (I think it'd work out yummy with blackberries or blueberries too).
{ Fresh Huckleberry Pie }
1 baked 9 inch pie crust
4 c. uncooked huckleberries
3 oz. softened cream cheese
1/2 c. water
3/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
Cook 1 cup of the berries in the water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Mix the cornstarch and sugar; gradually add to the berries. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick and clear. Take off heat and cool slightly. Add lemon juice and complete cooling process. Line the baked pie shell with cream cheese. Place the 3 cups of uncooked huckleberries on top of cream cheese and pour the cooled, cooked berry sauce on top. Before serving, garnish with sweetened whipped cream to which a teaspoon of vanilla has been added.
And my mom's pie crust recipe that I love...
{ Never Fail Pie Crust }
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cup Crisco
4 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 egg
Combine flour, salt and Crisco, and cut to the size of peas. In separate bowl, mix water and vinegar, then mix in egg. Combine egg mixture and flour mixture until completely moistened. Knead into a ball. Cover and chill at least an hour. Roll between floured wax papers. Yields 3 pie shells. Note: You may cover then freeze dough balls and/or rolled out shells in pie plate for later use.
To bake empty shell: poke with fork. Bake 475 for 8-10 minutes
To bake fruit filled pie with top: (requires 2/3 of recipe) cut slits to vent, sprinkle with 1 tsp. sugar, cover edges with foil and bake 375 for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 20-25 minutes more.
To bake cheesecake or pumpkin pie: follow specific recipe. If edges brown too fast, cover with foil.

3 comments:
We'd like to schedule a trip to Leesville next Spring so we can "help" you eat those pies. YUM!
Oh, that reminds me so much of Mississippi. We used to always go picking blackberried and huckleberries in the summer and then make yummies from them. We also got a lot of bug bites doing that but that's another story.
You are becoming a better cook than I am! Your Nana would be pleased that you are using her pie crust recipe.
We will have to make some pies when you come out at Christmas time. Eating pies sounds like a good family thing to do... Hmmm, what kind shall we try? cherry, apple, lemon meringue, coconut cream.... Oh, yes!
Post a Comment